About Kinesio Taping
What is Kinesio Taping?
Kinesio Taping is a taping method that can help people from all walks of life.
The tape is very different to the original white prophylactic sports tape that you can buy. This tape usually can only be worn for a short while, it can irritate the skin and although it is effective in limiting joint movement it has limited therapeutic purpose.
Kinesio taping has been around since 1973. It’s designed to match the skin layer of the epidermis. So that when you wear it, it feels natural.
It can last anything up from 3-5 days. You can shower and bath with it on, the tape will still remain complete.
The tape is heat adhesive and once on, it lifts the skin, allowing the interstitial fluid movement through the superficial lymphatic vessels. The decrease in fluid pressure would therefore allow for improvement in muscle function.
Who can use it?
You may have already seen this tape whilst watching your favourite sportsman/woman. They are strapped up with some coloured tape and straight away you are thinking that they are injured. This might not be the case!
You are also probably thinking it’s just for athletes but you will be very surprised to hear that anyone can benefit from it.
How does it Work:
- Inhibition of a muscle. This can be when an injury has occurred and we really don’t want that muscle to work anymore than it needs to. So by taping it we are supporting this muscle and allowing it to rest slightly.
- Facilitation of a muscle. Maybe you have a muscle that isn’t working efficiently. So we tape this muscle to get it working.
- Lymphatic flow problems/swelling. The tape can help swelling.
Is it for me?
Have you currently or had:
- Injury. Either in acute stage or a while ago.
- Ligament/tendon/cartilage/bursitis/tendonitis/tennis elbow, golfers elbow
- Muscle /joint pain
If you have, then Kinesio Taping can help you!
With this tape, you can’t just guess and whack the tape on and hope for the best! Muscle tests need to be done before any taping can continue; this is to ensure that you get the best out of your tape and not to cause any problems elsewhere! For the first session a quick assessment and then thereafter it doesn’t take as long once we know where the source of the problem is.
Contact me now to book in your consultation.